- As we returned to school this week, students were able to begin using our new Dining Hall. It is a much bigger space than we have been used to and shows great potential not only as a space for dining but for many other functions. With our current building programme now over, we will benefit not only from the new Dining Hall but also a new Movement and Performing Arts Building with specialist Drama and Music rooms and new changing rooms for PE. The old Dining Hall also has a new floor and is freshly painted. We were very fortunate that the project was entirely funded through a successful bid to the Department for Education and has finished on time and on budget.
- Pupils in Years 9 and 10 this year benefited from a drug and alcohol education assembly provided by the Daniel Spargo-Mabbs Foundation. Information about the Foundation can be found here http://www.dsmfoundation.org.uk/. Parents of pupils in these year groups and indeed others may find it helpful to discuss these issues and to visit the charity’s website.
- We were delighted to find out this week that we have been awarded the Carnegie Centre of Excellence for Mental Health in Schools ‘School Mental Health Award’ – Silver Status. This recognises the significant progress we have made as a school in relation to this important issue and will give us an appropriate framework on which to develop further. There are many students and staff who have contributed to this and in particular we would like to thank Mrs Enstone and the student Mental Health Society for their hard work over the past year.
- We have heard that due to works to repair sink holes Crofton Lane will be closed to all traffic between Derwent Drive and Broadcroft Road from 10am on Monday, 5th November . This is likely to have a significant impact on traffic, parking and public transport in the local area. Pupils will need to allow additional time for travel to school.
- Year 13 parents’ evening is on Thursday, 15th November, 5-8pm. A letter is being sent home and students will need an appointment for each subject taken.
- Friday, 9th November is a Professional Development Day for staff. Students do not attend school on this day. Monday, 10th December is also a PD Day when students do not attend.
- Tickets are on sale now for the School Production ‘Les Miserables’. Please see our website for details on how to purchase tickets.
- Tickets are now on sale for the Year 7 end of term Christmas Party to be held at the School on the evening of Friday, 7th December. The ticket price is now £6.00 per ticket and £7.00 per ticket on the evening.