- On Thursday evening parents of pupils in Years 10 and 11 attended a very successful information evening where there was the chance to meet tutors and subject staff and to ask questions about the courses being offered. Please see the separate email regarding the presentation from the evening and a KS4 Information Booklet which includes important information on all KS4 subjects.
- Today we chose to fly the Spanish flag in honour of Spain’s national day. We have many people in our city who are Spaniards or of Spanish origin including some of our own students and it is of course a language which many students learn at Darrick Wood. A flag can be a visible sign of our international outlook as a school and our recognition of diversity. We have flown other flags in the past such as the Chinese one and the Rainbow Flag for LGTB History month. We now plan to fly the flag of other nations to continue to develop cultural awareness including those of the home nations as well as other countries with particular links to our school and community.
- Students and staff enjoyed a fabulous trip to France last weekend and there were many positive comments about the conduct of our students.
- This week we had student-led main assemblies on the subject of mental health as it was World Mental Health Day on Wednesday, 10th October. We are very grateful to the Good Mental Health society for leading this initiative.
- Students in Years 11, 12 and 13 learnt about post-16 and post-18 apprenticeships in assemblies this week. There is also a careers section on the School’s website with links to other sites that provide further information on this topic.
- Tickets are now on sale for the Year 7 end of term Christmas Party to be held at the School on the evening of Friday, 7th December. The ticket price will remain at only £5.00 until Friday, 19th October and pupils can purchase them at Pupil Reception. The price will increase to £6.00 per ticket after the half-term break and £7.00 per ticket on the evening.
- This week, across the School, we reached the landmark of over 100,000 positive House Points awarded with the highest category being “positive attitude to learning”.
- Overall, student attendance has been excellent since the start of the autumn term at just below 98%. Additionally, can we remind all parents/carers that students of all year groups must be through the school gates by 8.35am each morning to be in good time for registration and assembly.
- Please find here a link to the Safer Neighbourhoods Newsletter Sept 18.
- Students and staff from Darrick Wood School are heading to China over the Easter break. This is a fabulous opportunity to see a country very different from ours and also meet up with students and staff from our partner school in China – Nanya. Any student still interested in travelling with the group should see Mrs Hobson or Mr Cozens.
The PSFA Nearly New Sale is on in the Main Hall from 10am until 11.30am this Saturday (13th October). Come and pick up a bargain.
- Thursday, 7th February is the School’s annual Alumni Day which will include a tour of the new movement and performing arts building, a memory lane exhibition and a career networking activity. If you are an ex-student of the school and wish to attend, please contact Mrs Melanie Wood on firstname.lastname@example.org.