- After the long summer break it is always pleasure to welcome back our pupils and staff and to begin a new academic year. The new Year 7 pupils seem to be settling well and our Sixth Form has also attracted a large number of new students from other schools. We look forward to what we are sure will be another very successful year.
- The vast majority of pupils looked really smart this week and we are grateful that so many girls purchased skirts in the correct style. We understand that so many new ones have been purchased that both uniform shops are having to make new orders. Achievement Coordinators will be liaising with the parents of those girls still wearing the incorrect skirts to ensure correct ones are purchased once stocks have been replenished.
- With colder and wetter weather no doubt around the corner now is the time to go looking for a new plain brown coat for school. We appreciate this can sometimes be a challenge for parents but are assured that the uniform shops are well stocked. They might not be ‘fashionable’ coats but a school uniform and the coat worn with it is not a fashion statement. In fact, one reason for school uniform is to ensure fashion trends are not present around school. The PSA are holding a ‘nearly new’ uniform sale, which will include coats, on Saturday, 13th October 2018, 10am-11.30am. Please come and pick up a bargain.
- Although the new academic year has started well, we have had to run the School without our usual lesson changeover bell as it has malfunctioned. The fire alarms still work but we are unable to signal to the School when it is time for lessons to start or end. For those of us who have grown used to hearing a bell every hour, it feels a little strange, but we are grateful to our wonderful pupils and Sixth Form students who are continuing to move from lesson to lesson swiftly so that lessons can begin on time.
- After a proposal discussed at the School Council in the summer term, over the holidays the entrance doors to the pupil toilets in the Barker Building were removed. This ensures staff can more easily monitor behaviour in the area outside the cubicles (by basins and hand dryers) whilst no one can see into the cubicles themselves from the corridor. It will discourage pupils from gathering in large groups in the toilets, which they have sometimes tended to do. Overall, it will make the toilets safer and hopefully more pleasant for all. The strategy is to provide a facility not unlike those in many public places including schools nowadays. We are investigating how to adapt our other toilets in a similar way.
New MPA Building
- We had hoped that the MPA Building would be open in time for use by pupils this week. However, a few final glitches beyond our control this was not possible. Pupils and staff have been very patient with lessons for Music and Drama having to take place elsewhere in the School and we have had to use the Gymnasium and Sports Hall for PE changing. However, we are pleased to announce that from Monday, 10th September the building will be fully open on all floors.
- Many of you will be aware that Mrs Brasier-Bingham has now been teaching at Darrick Wood School for 40 years. This is a tremendous achievement and we are so pleased she continues have the same energy and drive required to be an Achievement Coordinator and PE Teacher that she always had. She is a fantastic role model to us all.
- During the summer term the School was re-accredited with World Class Status. A review by the students and staff of another world class school agreed that the education and opportunities provided to Darrick Wood pupils remain of the highest quality.
- The School’s Prize Giving evening will take place on Thursday, 13th September at 7pm. Pupils, Sixth Form students and parents who are invited will have been contacted separately.
- Parents of Year 12 students are warmly invited to attend the Sixth Form Parents’ Forum on the evening of Wednesday, 19th September. This is an information event for parents/carers to help support your son/daughter be successful now that they are in the Sixth Form.
- Information will be sent home shortly about the arrangements for school photographs on Thursday, 20th September and an evening on Thursday, 27th September for parents/carers of new Year 7 pupils to see how they have been settling in.
- Parents are reminded to park consideration for our neighbours should they need to park near the School. Please avoid driving on to the School site as we have very few visitor parking spaces. Please also avoid turning at the bottom of the drive way.
- As mentioned in last week’s bulletin, all year groups are now able to purchase the new style PE kit. Year 7 must wear this new style kit, but other year groups may also now opt for it as stocks of the old style kit start to run low.