- As you are aware, the adverse weather conditions meant that we reluctantly closed the School early on Tuesday and then remained closed all week. These decisions are always difficult and we apologise for any inconvenience this caused. Finally a thaw has come over the weekend and the School will be open as normal on Monday.
- Our flagpole is very much a fixture of the School and a meeting point for pupils at the end of the school day. Usually the Darrick Wood School flag, complete with Woodpecker, takes pride of place. Occasionally we fly other flags. For example, we flew the Chinese flag when pupils from our partner school in China visited. Recently the rainbow flag has been flying to highlight the importance of equality and diversity whilst a group of Sixth Form students led assemblies to mark LGBT history month. The Darrick Wood School flag will soon return but the rainbow flag has served as a reminder that Darrick Wood School is a community of different people all of whom are valued and respected equally.
- The Year 9 History trip to Belgium will be departing on Friday, 16th March. The meeting for parents which was due to be held on Tuesday, 27th February will be rearranged as soon as possible and details will be sent home.
- Year 11 pupils have a week of pre-public examinations (PPEs) for their GCSEs starting on Monday, 12th March. We would be grateful if you could encourage your son/daughter to revise and prepare as these are an opportunity for pupils to continue to improve their examination technique.
- Recently, 17 of our talented Year 7 musicians, together with our Chamber Choir and A level Music students participated in two jazz and improvisation workshops led by drummer Phelan Burgoyne. Phelan Burgoyne, aged just 23, has already carved out a name for himself as one of this country’s finest improvising musicians. He collaborates regularly with legendary saxophonist Martin Speake and rising star guitarist Rob Luft. The trio have been close collaborators since early 2014 when Burgoyne and Luft were both students at the Royal Academy of Music in London where Speake is a professor. Phelan is now composing a piece based on ideas provided by our Year 7 pupils. The piece will be performed by Phelan, Martin Speak and Rob Luft, together with the Bromley Youth Music Trust Big Band at our Spring Concert on 22nd March. The Concert will also feature students involved in the workshops performing alongside the trio. We hope many parents and pupils will be able to attend what is always a fabulous concert.
- Year 10 Parents’ Evening will take place on Wednesday, 7th March from 5.00pm to 8.00pm. Please ensure that your son/daughter has made appointment times with their teachers. Pupils are expected to attend in full school uniform. Coats must be the usual plain dark brown.
- On Thursday, 8th March pupils in Year 9 will be taking part in “Your Choice, Your Voice” health activities day – further details will be sent out separately at the beginning of next week.