Following victory at the Bromley Championships, our Year 7 Boys Team represented Bromley in the South London Regional Final held in Carshalton, Surrey. The boys have trained extremely hard and demonstrated great commitment and dedication to training after school and subsequently performed far beyond expectations.
Competing against the top schools from seven other boroughs in South London, our Obstacle Relay team of Jamie Low, Alex Webb, Louis Roberts and Isaac Agyapong got the team off to a great start with a 3rd place finish. Who’d have thought it was only going to get better?
Matthew Smith, one of the top cross country runners in Kent, competed in the longest race – the 6 lap race – and drew on his athletics experience to time his run to perfection. At the half-way mark he was looking very comfortable sat in 5th place and gradually picked off his competitors by reserving enough energy to finish his last lap at almost top speed to win by a comfortable margin and a dip that Colin Jackson would have been proud of!
The remainder of events were competed with two athletes per event and we showed our strength in depth by coming in the top 3 in almost every event!
- Ben Platt and Isaac Agyapong finished 3rd and 1st in their 2 lap races respectively.
- Jay Jackson and Ben Platt came away with equal top points in the 4 lap races
- Alex Webb and Jay Jackson ran a tactical 8 lap Paarlauf (paired race) to finish in 3rd place
- Our sprint relay team of Isaac Ayapong, Matthew Smith, Ben Platt and Alex Webb ran superbly and made excellent baton changeovers to finish 2nd
- In the field events, Louis Roberts and Alex Webb both jumped personal bests to come 1st in the Standing Long Jump event
- Jay Jackson and Jamie Low both set personal bests in the Speed Bounce event to finish 3rd overall
- Ben Platt and Jay Jackson threw personal bests in the Shot Putt to finish in 1st place.
The team now go on to represent Darrick Wood School and Team Bromley in the highly prestigious London Youth Games at Crystal Palace on Wednesday 22nd March, alongside our Year 8 Girls team. A massive achievement for the school and hopefully a sign of things to come as we move towards our outdoor athletics season.